Youth Health Plan FAQ
1. Who is eligible for a Child-only policy?
Children age 0-18 are eligible for a BCBSNC® Child-only policy.
2. Are the benefits any different for Child-only coverage?
No…the benefits are based off of the Blue Advantage® product platform. Benefits are the same for a stand-alone child policy as they would be for a dependent covered under a parents’ Blue Advantage® policy.
3. What are the advantages of a Child-only policy?
Depending on health conditions, typically the monthly premium for a Blue Advantage® Child-only policy is less than what it would cost to cover the dependent under a BCBSNC® group plan. Also, it provides the flexibility of having differing levels of coverage for each member of the family.
4. Is my child required to see certain physicians?
No…the Blue Advantage® Child-only policy uses the BCBSNC® Blue Options provider network which allows for either in-network or out-of-network services.
5. Am I allowed to make coverage changes for my child?
Yes…you are allowed to make benefit changes each December so that they become effective January 1.
6. How often do premiums change?
The Blue Advantage® Child-only policy renews each January 1. Premiums are subject to change each annual renewal.
7. How do I apply for coverage for my child?Click the Blue Advantage® tab on our homepage to get a free rate quote and an online application.